Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Happy 4th of July!

Well, it's hot.  I love fireworks displays, although I probably won't get to see any and will instead end up watching some on T.V. or popping a few firecrackers myself.  And, again, it's hot.  Hotter than a firecracker!  But, not too unbearable as I get to go indoors to my air conditioning or in my truck with air conditioning in it.  Basically, the weather is nice--even though it's hot.

Half the year is gone, and I'm hungry for something off the grill. I almost don't care what it is.  Any kind of meat, to Muley's own dismay (as he thinks it could be someone he may know).  I love grilled meat, mostly beef followed by chicken and then pork.  Especially pork if it is barbequed (here in the south, being grilled is different than barbequed as the latter includes a delicious sauce on the pulled pork or the ribs).  Chicken can be barbequed with sauce as well, but grilled it's usually only flavored one way.  Beef can be in the form of a burger or hot dog; but, I'll humbly accept a steak.  I like steak.  Muley and his friends cringe at the thought, but I like it.

And, with the year half gone, I wonder what the other half has for me?  Success? Sadness? Happiness? Health or Sickness?  What could it be?  I don't know, but I look forward to the adventures that await me.

And, tomorrow, what has the day in store?  Well, I get to go visit my mother and stepfather, eat, hang out with my pets, and draw.  I'll be sitting pretty high on the hog tomorrow with all of that.  My pets will be nervous if there are fireworks pops around, so I hope to keep them too busy to realize it.

Keep in mind, that my pets get airconditioning and food and water; but, there are many animals not lucky enough to have a home or a good owner.  Put a cool bowl of water out for the critters when you can, in a place that will stay shaded so the water doesn't heat up.  Feel free to drop a hotdog or something similar outside for the hungry animals.  Keep in mind, the strays aren't there because they want to be, but because some dumb human was an irresponsible pet owner!  If you have a pet, get it spayed or neutered.  Some places have charity services for that if you capture an unowned pet and take it they will tend to the services there.

There are also a few humans out there who've fallen down on their luck.  No home, no family, no airconditioning, no food, no water...not because they chose to be.  There are ways to help without getting involved, so look for those charities or organizations that take care of the poor.  After all, in the midsouth area alone there are 21,000 living below the low-poverty level. 

We get the opportunity to celebrate the freedom of America, but many don't get that chance to (comfortably).  I'll remember to be thankful for my house, pets, family, food, air-conditioner, clean water, and health tomorrow, and I'll remember to be thankful for the freedom that allows me the opportunity to have all those things.  I'll remember to be thankful for the men and women in service who have in the past, now, and in the future worked so hard to keep America beautiful, safe and free.

And, I'll remember to turn loose of the bottle rocket when I light it...

No comments: