Thursday, November 11, 2010

Happy Veteran's Day!

We aren't political by any means, but I do have a high appreciation for our military men and women of all ages and ranks because they put their necks out on the line for us daily. Whether wartime or in times of "peace," they are always the busy people watching out for all the rest of us Americans!

In my own family, I have a great stepfather who served in Vietnam and has told me the horror stories of that period of time--not just during the war and fighting, but also upon returning home to the picketing many who weren't boycotting and spitting upon the war itself, but ungratefully spat upon our returning soldiers who fought, lost limbs, lost friends or lost lives like my Uncle Ellis who I never had the pleasure to know.

Unfortunately, these same kinds of behavior exist even today. Where is the appreciation? When there are "Christian" groups who are picketing at a fallen soldier's funeral: 1) you are not human if you cannot respect the family any better than that and 2) we're serving a different Jesus and God! You cannot be a Christian if you do not have Christ's love in you, and to behave in such a way is absolutely not Christ's way. Shame on you. (Okay, so, that's my political and religious stance).

Now, I have friends who are in the military, whether overseas in the Middle East, home now either returned or headed that way, and to those friends of mine (you know who you are) I appreciate you, your hard work and dedication to keeping me, my friends, my family, and my country safe. I wish I had an ounce of the courage you have to do what you do.

So, for those who have served: Thank you! I may not otherwise be allowed to be free to draw, perform puppetry, or post on the internet if not for you. To those serving: Thank you for maintaining my freedom of speech, religion, and life.




To find ways to help our veterans, please do some online searches or visit these websites:

Disabled Veterans National Foundation

Vietnam Veterans of America

The VFW

To discuss other ways to help our military folk, please visit THIS LINK.


.

No comments: