Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Holy Mule, Comics, Cats, and Toothy Puppets

MULEY HELPS TEACH CHURCH

Sunday, May 1 - First Congregational Church
Memphis, TN - Cooper/Young Area
Muley will help Juan with the childrens' sermon, same as he did on Easter Sunday. If you look closely below, you can see Muley, Kevin, and Juan Salter at the table, and to the left is Angie Freeman and DaMarco Randle, Muley and Kevin's pals.





















The image above I took of me for Facebook shows how much of an attention hog Muley is--even though he's a mule.

COMIC BOOKS THAT I AM READING





















I was so disappointed when DC cancelled Will Eisner's The Spirit, which was given new birth with the art and writing of Darwyn Cooke and then later different artists with the writings of The Spirit fans Sergio Aragones and Mark Evanier of "Groo" fame. When it was cancelled I blamed Frank Miller for his HORRIBLE version of telling the story of The Spirit by creating a sequel to Sin City rather than basing it on his "friend" Will Eisner's story. But, whether that was right or wrong, The Spirit is back in First Wave, a new series of stories featuring one of my favorite heroes. The art is exquisite and the story is tight with a feeling of light-hearted mystery. Do I suggest it? You bet your spirit!

Brave and the Bold (not Batman: Brave and the Bold which is based on the cartoon) is a series that is awesome on its own, and even more so now with an issue featuring Zatana, Wonder Woman and Bat Girl. A prequel to the fate of Barbara Gordon, this story also features a present trend in the suspected relationship of other female characters in the story. It's a very good read.

I've also been reading BOOM! Studios' The Muppet Show series, with good stories and art that I am growing more fond of as I read them. However, Muppets' King Arthur features art by Dave Alvarez, an old pal from a Muppets fansite that I've been visiting for years, which are top-par. Muppets' Peter Pan was also chock full of good story and art. I'm really looking forward to reading the Fraggle Rock comics when they are available, although that is coming from a different company.

Speaking of comics, the UK release of the movie Role Models on DVD features the graphic novel by Martheus Wade, my MAW Productions' boss over the book I edit, Jetta: Tales of the Toshigawa.























CASPER THE CAT

See, some things never change. He still looks at me as if to say, "You call? So?" He was 'fixed' last week and it seems that his personality hasn't changed much--he sleeps more, is more calm, and isn't peeing everywhere.
























SIVAD: The Puppet

There were requests for me to show more images of the puppet. Here are some during the art show on March 26 at Adam Shaw's studio.









































If I get requests to show the puppet in progress, I'll post those also.

No comments: