Sunday, December 29, 2019

Muley Speaks About God's Calling at First Congo 12/29/2019


Muley Sermon 12 29 2019

Well, I hope everyone had a great holiday.  Some of you got toys, some of you got clothes, and some of you got art supplies.  And for the third year in a row, I got coal and switches.  I’m not complaining, though.  At least it’s stuff that will get used – some of it on me!  And then there’s today, the last time I get to see you guys this year!  It will be next year before I get to see you guys again!

So, for my final message of 2019, I decided to do a short message. {pause} Okay, see you next year!
Kidding!  OK, let’s look at today’s reading:  1 Samuel 1: 1 – 20.  Wait:  1 – 20?  Forget it.  Okay, let’s look at this: 1 Samuel 3:4 – “Then the Lord called Samuel.  Samuel answered, “Here I am.”  Short and sweet, people!  Short verse.  Easy reading from the book of Samuel.  You know who Samuel is, don’t you?  I don’t.  Well, I didn’t.  But, I did some reading and I liked this particular story.

You see, his mom couldn’t have children, but prayed to God for a child, and then Samuel was born.  His mom promised God that if she had a child, she’d make sure he would be in service to God.  So, she delivered Samuel to Eli the Priest. Eli the Priest. That’s a name like Muley the Mule.  Anyway, Samuel lived in the temple with Eli.  While they slept one night, the Lord called Samuel’s name and Samuel goes to Eli and says, “Here I am,” but Eli just looks at him and says, “So? Go back to sleep.”  So, Samuel goes back to his room and tries to sleep, but hears the Lord’s voice again call, “Samuel!”  So, Samuel jumps out of bed a second time, goes to Eli, and says, “Here I am.”  And Eli just looks at him and says, “I didn’t call you, go back to bed!”  So, Samuel goes back to bed, he lays down his sweet head, and a third time, the Lord calls and says, “Samuel!”  Samuel got up and went to Eli a third time and said, “Here I am, you called me.”  And a third time Eli says, “Wait, it must be God calling you, Samuel.  Go back to bed and if you hear God call, say, “Speak Lord, for your servant is listening.”  Well, Samuel goes to bed, and just like before, he hears his name called and just like Eli told him, Samuel says, “Speak Lord, for your servant is listening.  Here I am.”

Look.  Last time I was asleep and heard my name called, I went to the bathroom.  THEN, I got out of bed to get my human involved!

Did you ever feel that tugging at your heart, that emotional feeling that you need to help someone?  The feeling that you need to help a friend with homework, or felt you needed to help your grown-ups clean house or cook?  Or feel a need to help someone get food or clothes? Did you ever feel that when it happens, it could be God calling you to do that good thing?

Anyway, God called Samuel, and Samuel became a prophet.  Did you know that God still calls on people today?  God calls us to love, live our faith, be holy, be faithful, and to serve others.  God calls grown-ups to do these things, and our church does it all the time.  But, when God called Samuel, you know what?  He was just a kid!  Well, not God; Samuel was the kid. And you know what that means? Samuel was just a kid, like us, so even WE can be called by God.  Whaaaaaat?  That’s cool!

God called a kid named Samuel to service, and may be calling you and me to service today. And parents, when your kid comes in and wants to do that “good” thing, let them.  It could be them responding to God’s call!  We just have to be quiet, be God’s faithful servants who are listening, and God will talk to us because God loves you, Jesus loves you, and your pal Muley loves you, and I’ll see you real soon!

No comments: