Friday, November 1, 2019

HTH: Evolution Concert

Ladell Beamon of the Heal the Hood Foundation of Memphis called and asked would Muley the Mule and Friends be able to participate in a concert with the theme about anti-bullying.  Could we?  But, of course!



We've always been against bullying.  So, it became important to us to participate and share in the message of why bullying is bad.  Kevin L. Williams wrote the script baesd on some research, and DaMarco Randle rewrote lyrics for the song Shake It Off which the characters performed.



Enjoy the script below:


INTRODUCTION

               MULEY
Hi everyone!  I’m so glad to be here, and glad you are, too.  You know, today we’re hearing from my friends how bullying is bad.  Nobody wants to be the bad guy, do they?  I don’t.  Bad guys always lose.  Also because bullying hurts people and I don’t want to hurt anyone, and I don’t want anyone to hurt me or my friends, do you?  Bullying happens on the internet, at school, in the playground, and even at home.  You see, bullies are WEAK – they try to find someone weaker than they are to pick on them.  But, do you know it shows that you’re a stronger person if you help and take care of people weaker than you?  That’s what being a HERO is!  You can be a hero!  You know…



               ROY DUCK
Muley!  Muley the Mule!! * HEY, MULEY!!
                              (*Run up and bump into Muley, who almost falls over the stage, he looks back at Roy)
MULEEEEYYYY!!!  (In Muley’s face)

               MULEY
Roy Duck!  Are you okay?

               ROY DUCK
Yeah.  I mean, I am now.  But, I wasn’t.

               MULEY
Why, what do you mean?

               ROY DUCK
Well, I was just hanging out at the playground and minding my own business, I was drawing and had been playing with a toy, and you know what?

               MULEY
Not yet…

               ROY DUCK
Well, this bigger kid came up.  I didn’t know this kid yet, so I invited him to play with my toy and draw with me and then that’s when he…
                              (Pause and look away, sad)

               MULEY
It’s okay, Roy Duck, you’re with friends now.  You know, if something bad happens, you should always feel okay to talk to a friend or a grown-up.  What happened?

               ROY DUCK
There was some sand close-by, and he kicked the sand at me.  It got in my eyes and it hurt real bad!

               MULEY
Oh, Roy Duck, I’m so sorry that happened.  What did you do?

               ROY DUCK
Nothing much I could do, I had sand in my eyes. But, not my ears and I could hear what he said next.



               MULEY
Uh-oh!  What did he say?

               ROY DUCK
He told me if I didn’t bring him my lunch money tomorrow, he’d make duck soup out of me!

               MULEY
How RUDE!  I’m sure glad you told me this, Roy Duck.  You know, one thing about a bully is that they have no power over you unless you give them that power.  Having a good friend close-by is a good thing to do because bullies will pick on a single person while they’re alone; but, they don’t usually pick on a group of kids.

               ROY DUCK
What do we do now?

               MULEY
Next time that bully tries to do something to you, shout “get away!” and walk away to find an adult.  If you can’t find an adult come find your friends!  Let all of us know so we can help watch out for each other.  You know, bullies are really only looking for attention.  Do you know why?

               ROY DUCK
Not yet.

               MULEY
Because they don’t have the attention or friendships they need, or their parents don’t show them enough attention.  Because they have no power anywhere else.  Do you know that’s the one thing a bully needs?

               ROY DUCK
What?

               MULEY
Friends! 

               ROY DUCK
But, I tried to be friends with him, and I got sand in my eyes!  How can I be friends with someone like that?

               MULEY
I don’t know.  But, we have to remember:  Bullies seem tough and strong on the outside, but inside they are sad and weak.  Whenever I see a bully, I just remember how sad they are, and that I am a happy, valuable person.  And you know, Roy Duck, you’re a valuable person and a good person.  Don’t let anyone ever make you think differently.

               ROY DUCK
I won’t!

               MULEY
And you kids who hear this are good, wonderful people.  Don’t ever try to bully others because you’re better than that.  Be a hero, be super, be someone that others can look up to even if they’re bigger and older than you are.  I believe in you.

               ROY DUCK
Me, too!  Look around you.  Everyone around you could be your friend.  All you have to do is say hello.

               MULEY
After all:  strangers are only friends you haven’t made yet.  So, Roy Duck, you were picked on by a bully earlier, what will you do now?



               ROY DUCK
Hey, kids, stand at your seat and shake with me, like this!  (SHAKE) Because I’m going to shake it off!

               MULEY
You’re going to shake it off?  Oh!

               ROY DUCK
You remember that song I re-wrote about bullying?

               MULEY
I do! 

               BOTH
HIT IT!


(Then came the song...)




No comments: